- About Us
- Labs & Expertise
- Get Involved
- Economic Impact
- News & Media
- Events & Opportunities
Oregon BEST Commercialization Program
The Oregon BEST Commercialization Program accelerates the commercialization of technologies developed by universities and small businesses in Oregon. The program focuses on creating commercialization partnerships between industry and Oregon universities or leveraging existing collaborations between Oregon companies and Oregon BEST’s Member Faculty.
The commercialization collaborations that are catalyzed by Oregon BEST create much-needed jobs for Oregonians in the cleantech sector, which is expected to experience significant growth for decades to come. Simultaneously, the technologies commercialized help address the challenges of climate change, our nation’s dependence on fossil fuels, the environmental impacts of energy generation and building materials production, and the quality of our indoor environments.
The Commercialization Program supports promising cleantech technologies, products, and services that are at an early stage of development. The program seeks to assist researchers, inventors, and entrepreneurs in activities that might include proof-of-concept demonstrations, laboratory validations, prototype development, small scale pilot programs, technology trials, or market validation. These activities are designed to achieve some combination of the following objectives:
- expand the base of cleantech research in the Oregon University System
- support the transition of technology developed at Oregon BEST's partner universities into industry
- provide university-based support, in the form of lab resources and specialized expertise, to Oregon companies
- accelerate the development of new cleantech products by Oregon companies
- facilitate the formation of new cleantech companies in Oregon
Oregon BEST helps commercialize technologies primarily focused on renewable energy, energy storage, smart grid, and sustainable building technologies.
The Commercialization Program has two main elements:
- Oregon BEST Commercialization Grants help bridge the gap between traditional R&D funding sources and the availability of private investment – a gap commonly known as the “valley of death.” By working with Oregon BEST Member Faculty at our partner universities, the university tech transfer offices, and small businesses, we identify opportunities for small investments to make a big impact in moving products and services to market and to achieving success in securing follow-on financing and initial customer traction. Download list of Commercialization Grants awarded.
- Commercialization acceleration support services connect seasoned Entrepreneurs-in-Residence on the Oregon BEST team with researchers and startups in need of assistance making the transition from “technology readiness” to “investment readiness” and “commercial viability." These experienced executives provide consulting and mentorship to assist in the areas of business strategy, product strategy, acquisition of private capital, strategic business development, and management team formation. Oregon BEST leverages the wide range of entrepreneur support services available from other entities and provides a focal point for the development of clean-tech products and clean-tech companies.
CONTACT: Ken Vaughn, Oregon BEST Commercialization Program Manager
NOTE: To receive notification about upcoming Commercialization Grant solicitations, be sure you are signed up for the Oregon BEST "Keep Me Informed" mailing list. (if you are a university researcher, sign up as Oregon BEST Member Faculty).
OREGON BEST IN THE NEWS
Red List Design Finalists Named05/17/2013
Brewing Electricity from Wastewater05/15/2013
An Oregon BEST Commercialization Grant helps company test microbial fuel cell that could clean wastewater, generate electricity, and reduce water usage at Widmer Bros. Brewery. More.
Grant Funds Solar-Activated Water Treatment04/17/2013
A floating, solar-activated device that can treat stormwater wins an Oregon BEST Commercialization Grant. More.
CSD Nano: Semi-Finalist at Angel Conference04/15/2013
Grant Funds Innovative Window Coating03/28/2013
An Oregon BEST Commercialization Grant funds development of new window coating that could save millions on indoor lighting costs. More.